- Two Ways to Get More Out of Your Predictive Real Estate Model (5/4/2017)
Typically, a real estate model is applied to understand whether a potential new site is a good investment or a bad one. It is designed to quantify the sales potential for a given piece of real estate. However ...
- Retailers Reinventing the Customer Experience (4/13/2017)
As online shopping becomes more efficient and evermore convenient, shoppers will find less reason to visit a brick and mortar establishment unless retailers find a way to get them in the door.
- Modest Restaurant Growth Changes Real Estate Dynamics (3/30/2017)
Research firms Technomic and The NPD Group have forecasted modest growth for restaurants this year, following a tough 2016.
The main segment to benefit from a lift in sales and traffic will be ...
- The Fastest Growing Restaurant Chains and What’s Feeding Their Success (3/16/2017)
As consumer food trends continue to shift toward more conscious food choices and convenience at a budget friendly price, it’s no surprise the fast casual space continues to capture market share.
- Help Franchisees Grow Market Share with Local Store Marketing (3/2/2017)
As a franchisor, it’s increasingly important to maximize your franchise territories’ potential and help them market at the local level. You and your franchisees are invested in the success of your business ...
- A City’s Guide to 2017 Retail Real Estate Trends (2/9/2017)
If your community is trying to attract new retail development or retain existing retailers, it’s important to understand the challenges and opportunities facing these businesses ...
- 3 Critical Questions to Answer if You Want to Sell More Franchises (1/26/2017)
You’ve invested the time and resources to develop a great franchise concept, but to grow your organization, you need to convince potential franchisees that it’s a great business ...
- Understanding the 3 Primary Site Selection Model Types (1/12/2017)
If you’ve ever considered purchasing a real estate site selection model, you know that the industry is filled with unfamiliar terms. Researching the various solutions can feel daunting, but fortunately ...
- A Beginner’s Guide to Retail Site Selection Solutions (12/29/2016)
Having the right retail site selection solution is crucial for any business looking to add new locations.
- Staying Ahead of the New Restaurant Competitor: Grocery Stores (12/15/2016)
More and more, consumers are choosing to dine in than eat out as grocery prices continue to decline, while inflation is driving up the cost of dining out.
- How Retailers Can Stay Competitive Amid Changing Shopping Habits (11/24/2016)
It’s no surprise that consumers are spending more dollars online. E-commerce now makes up nearly 10 percent of total retail sales in the U.S., a number that has grown ...
- Overcoming Growth Challenges for Emerging Brands Part 3 (11/3/2016)
In the first two posts of this series we talked about three of the biggest growth challenges faced by emerging brands ... that brings us to the next piece of the expansion equation ...
- Overcoming Growth Challenges for Emerging Brands Part 2 (10/27/2016)
In markets where you already have a presence, how do you know where to open your next location?
- Overcoming Growth Challenges for Emerging Brands Part 1 (10/20/2016)
In today’s highly competitive retail environment, it’s incredibly difficult to stand out among well-established competitors. Even the most seasoned retail operators ...
- Big Box Retail Trends: 3 Tips for Success (10/13/2016)
It’s been a tough decade for big box retailers. Mass merchants and online retailers have driven down prices, putting pressure on margins. Consumers emerged from the recession with a different ...
- Three keys to amplify your growth through customer profiling (9/29/2016)
Customers are at the core of every decision you make, whether you’re a retailer, restaurant or service provider. Here are the three keys ...
- How to Explain Retail Market Research & Analytics Tools to Your Boss (9/13/2016)
You’ve done your homework and found the perfect retail market research solution for your business. There’s just one catch: you have to convince your boss.
- How to Make a Big Difference in Executing Your Economic Development Strategies (9/1/2016)
Formulating economic development strategies is not difficult. Executing economic development strategies is difficult.
The good news about execution is that ...
- What is Retail Real Estate like Today? Diagnosing the State of an Industry. (8/11/2016)
Ask anyone in retail real estate today about the state of the industry and they’ll struggle to find the right description.
It’s not anemic, but then again it’s not ...
- The Millennial Impact on the Transformation of Consumer Behavior in U.S. Cities (7/28/2016)
Millennials are influencing key market trends, not only in buying power, but also real estate and lifestyle development.
- What to Look for in a Retail Site Selection Consultant (7/14/2016)
Hiring a retail site selection consultant is an important decision. Here are five questions to ask as you evaluate candidates.
- The Ultimate Checklist for Strategic Site Selection with Retail Analytics Software (6/30/2016)
Strategic Retail Site Location Software is a game-changing investment – just make sure you’ve done your homework. Here’s what you need to consider before ...
- How Spatial Data Can Turn Good Ideas into Growing Brands (6/16/2016)
It’s 5:15 p.m. on a Tuesday when Sally Owens is driving seven-year-old Pete home from soccer practice. He’s hungry, she needs a new phone charger and dad’s at home waiting on a box of nails so he can fix stuff. She takes a right and pulls into a spot in the shopping center parking ...
- Territory Optimization: It’s Not as Difficult as You Think (6/2/2016)
Territory Optimization is the identification of franchisee markets and trade areas that offer your brand the greatest ...
- What is Customer Profiling?
A 5 Step Beginner’s Guide (5/19/2016)
One of the most important parts of any business is understanding who your customer is. Customer profiles are “customer types,” which are created to represent the typical users of a product or service, and are used to help make customer-focused decisions without ...
- Realize Your Potential as a Franchise (5/5/2016)
You have seen your franchise grow and your experience as a franchisor has come from years of hard work to perfect your brand and your products. You have made sure your product represents who you are as franchise. Your brand brings in the customers, and customers identify themselves as loyal consumers. Now comes the question of the next step.
- What Exactly is Predictive Analytics? (4/21/2016)
The term “predictive analytics” is one that is used often in business today. But if you ask the average professional to define it, you will likely receive a half-mumbled response about ...
- 3 Tips to Help Localize Your Franchise Marketing Efforts (4/14/2016)
As many large franchisors know, there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to marketing. And though established marketing programs may exist, franchisors must keep 3 things ...
- Radical Transparency: The Key to Retail Success? (3/24/2016)
The age-old adage “put your best foot forward” is an antiquated idea for many retailers. Spurred by the increased influence of social media, many companies have decided that sharing the good, bad, and ugly aspects of business is the most tactical marketing route to take. This approach, also known as “radical transparency,” is a commitment to openly discuss company flaws, missteps, and organizational processes with existing and potential customers.
- How to Set Your Franchisees Up for Success (3/4/2016)
It’s a competitive market for franchisees, who compete not only for customers, but also for internal resources and attention from their franchisor.
Franchisees know that they have a higher likelihood of failing if they are poorly managed and neglected by their franchisor – which is harmful not only for the franchisee, but also for the overall brand in a market.
- Help Your Franchise G.R.O.W. (2/18/2016)
It’s a competitive market for franchisors today with large franchise groups experiencing periods of stagnation or even decline. However, there are small franchise groups that are coming of age ...
- The Key to Navigating the Franchise Site Selection Process (2/4/2016)
Today’s retail landscape is littered with failed concepts that believed if they built it, customers would come, but the most important factor in the site selection process is not finding the right real estate – it’s finding the right customers.
If there aren’t enough customers to generate ...
- The Secret to Opening a Homerun Franchise Location (1/21/2016)
Opening a successful franchise location is always the goal for retail and restaurant franchisors, but sadly, that goal is often missed.
The number one reason a franchise fails or a site performs poorly is because of its location – which ultimately is the direct result of poor ...
- 8 Pitfalls of Retail Real Estate Investment (1/7/2016)
Even though the retail real estate landscape is rapidly changing, the simple truth is that the market is incredibly active and bidding is as competitive as ever.
When this happens, investors – especially those new to the game – tend to haphazardly buy assets and/or overpay.
- Top 10 Markets for Retail Investment (12/24/2015)
With continued interest in the retail sector, investors and developers are looking for the markets that will provide the biggest returns.
To determine which markets offer the best opportunities, PwC and ULI conducted a survey that took into account buy/hold/sell recommendations from thousands of commercial ...
- The Top Growth Markets for Restaurant Expansion (12/10/2015)
With growth in the restaurant industry concentrated among fast casual chains, this segment remains the industry darling.
In order to stay competitive and relevant, casual dining operators and quick service restaurants are attempting to transform themselves through ...
- Will Your Fast Casual Restaurant Catch an Investor’s Eye? (11/18/2015)
When it came to growth strategies, restaurant brands used to follow a relatively formulaic three-step process. Step one was to prove your concept worked, step two was to add more locations, and step three was to either do an IPO or have investors come in to take the concept to the next level of growth. But lately ...
- The Secret to Unleashing Your Restaurant’s Growth Potential (11/5/2015)
Restaurant operators receive an endless number of lists from “trend watchers” that supposedly spell out what consumers will want to eat, drink and do at restaurants.
However, consumers repeatedly demonstrate that there is no “average” customer – meaning restaurant operators need to focus their attention on what their individual customers ...
- Attention Retailers: Small is the New Black (10/8/2015)
Just like less is more, bigger isn’t always better – especially when referring to a retailer’s store size.
Retailers across the country are rightsizing their brick and mortar stores to attract new customers and adapt to a changing retail environment that’s being driven by ...
- Why Go To The Store? (9/24/2015)
There are some who think that most brick & mortar stores are eventually going away and that e-commerce can have a compound annual growth rate of 15% until the end of time. To which I answer, “don’t be silly” and “of course not.”
- Why Emerging Concepts Fail (9/10/2015)
We’ve all heard the statistic before: 80% of new businesses fail within the first 18 months.
For retailers specifically, only 47% of new retail concepts are still operating after 4 years.
While this isn’t exactly earth shattering news considering that competition in the retail segment has always been especially fierce, it does beg the question ...
- Are These 5 Markets on Your Watch List? (8/27/2015)
Over the past several weeks, we’ve talked about everything from the top up-and-coming markets to the most sought after retail streets in the U.S.
What we haven’t covered though are the markets that are worth looking at based on a combination of various growth factors.
- 5 Smaller Markets on the Rise (8/13/2015)
We’ve been talking a lot recently about retailers’ quest for urbanization. But with urban retail comes a hefty price tag.
Some locations are so expensive in fact that retailers and restaurants are given no other choice but to leave them for less expensive places.
- Why Just Having Data is Meaningless (7/30/2015)
Recently, Steve Dennis posted a blog titled “Knowledge is not a Differentiator,” in which he takes a bold yet (in our opinion) true stance on the state of knowledge and data.
While the entire piece is filled with brilliant ...
- The Changing World of Retail (7/16/2015)
When it comes to shopping, we have more choices and more avenues to buy than ever before. We can drive to a big box store, get on the computer, use our phone, or even go to a specialty store like an Italian shoelace boutique.
- The 3 Pillars for Retail Expansion (6/11/2015)
Today’s retail marketplace demands that retailers focus all of their attention on one thing if they want to excel and grow their businesses.
Yet, far too often retailers focus on building their businesses around their various channels as opposed to building their businesses around the thing that actually matters ...
- Site Selection
Finding the Right Data Points (6/11/2015)
The research I do today would not have been possible a decade ago. New demographic mapping tools, data sources, financial transparency, and recession-wrought investors have created a new frontier in today’s commercial real estate market. The frontier is located at the intersection of ...
- The Top 15 U.S. Retail Markets (5/28/2015)
Yes, yes, I know, the retail landscape is shifting and as our world becomes more digital, so does our shopping experience.
However, despite the increasing investment in digital shopping, one thing has proven to be consistent: brick and mortar stores remain a principal channel for retailers.
- 3 Urban Site Selection Assumptions That Need To Be Broken (5/14/2015)
Today, urbanization is occurring at an extreme rate, with more than 1 million people moving into cities globally every week. At this pace, by 2050, 67% of the world’s population will be living in ...
- American & Canadian Consumers: Not As Similar As You Think (4/30/2015)
U.S. retailers are pushing hard to extend their reach across the border – especially those that see international expansion as an opportunity for growth.
Canada has been seen as a natural transition for U.S. retailers, who view it as an easier market to enter due to ...
- How to Optimize Territory Development for Your Franchise (4/16/2015)